Christmas, that time each year when we get caught up in all the festivities… for me, it usually means staring longingly at festive window displays, panic buying every 3 for 2 offer in Boots, eating & drink copious amounts of everything, decorating the house like the toy store in Elf and falling in love with the Cotswolds cottage in the Holiday all over again.
But for interior lovers, Christmas is a time to eye up the season’s ‘must have’ pieces. I’ve seen a fair few Christmas Wishlists this year so far, so I thought I’d compile my own. Take a look at my favourite interior wishlist worthy pieces and my budget-friendly dupes. Enjoy!
The Christmas Interior Wishlist 2016
1. I am in love with the iconic Danish lighting designer & architect Poul Henningsen. Known for iconic lighting designs that feature multiple, concentric shades, each design offers both a beautiful and practical lighting solution to eliminate direct glare.
The Louis Poulsen PH5 Pendant in white (seen below,£478.44) made the wishlist as it’s both beautifully designed and and provides glare free illumination within an interior space. I love the sculptural feel and it’s modern, clean design, but with styles ranging in price from £300 to £13,500 an original is out of reach for me right now.
I found a couple of high street dupes that emulate the iconic style for a lot less, with replicas for as little as £120, like this Poul Henningsen Style PH5 Ceiling Pendant Light.
2. The next item that has made it on my list is a statement chair, teamed with a faux fur throw for a cosy, Scandinavian feel this Christmas. The iconic, classic style of the Vitra Eames DSW side chair (£339.60) in white is the perfect minimalistic choice for any interior. I’d team a set of 6 chairs with a vintage dining table for a modern-contemporary look.
These can be quite expensive if you opt for the original versions, so save by buying a convincing dupe Eames style DSW chair for as little as £27.99 a chair.
3. A statement lamp is another essential item on my wish list this year. Cool metals and vintage style lamps are a popular trend at the moment, and I adore the arco style floor lamps that are inspired by the classic 1960’s design by the Castiglioni brothers – which is now considered a design classic.
The Arco Floor lamp by Flos elegant appearance and beautiful marble base which would be the perfect statement piece in an office or in a living room. But costing upwards of £1,422.00 it isn’t cheap.
I found cheaper, replica styles for under £200, like this Achille & Pier Castiglioni Classic Arco style floor lamp from Iconic Lights seen above, or try these other great, budget friendly versions here or here.
4. The Pols Potten Prickle Mirror in gold is a bold, statement mirror that has also made it onto my wishlist, seen left. It would add an elegant touch to any wall, but at £282.00 it’s definitely a pricier option that I’ll continue to lust after.
5. Next on the list, another iconic design. An original 1930’s Knoll Barcelona Chair by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe’s would set you back thousands, seen below.
But replicas can be picked up from as little as £229.00. With its sloping metal legs and relaxed style the iconic collaboration between Ludwig Mies van der Rohe & Lilly Reich has cemented the Barcelona chair as a modernist icon. I found convincing dupes if the original is just out of reach… The leather Barcelona Replica Chair from Vital Chairs is £229.00, whilst a faux leather version of the Barcelona Armchair with matching ottoman costs £491.90.
6. Another distinctive, iconic design from the 20th century that also made my interior wishlist is the elegantly formed, height-adjustable Eileen Gray side table, £489.00. For a side table is carries quite a high price tag, but due to its practical multi- height function and beautiful, curved design it’s a firm favourite and lusted after designer piece. I found a strikingly similar Eileen Gray replica side table dupe for just £65.00 from Milan Direct, seen left.
7. Another key interior trend this Autumn/ Winter is adding texture and pattern, mixing faux-furs & clashing animal prints to bring a cosy, Autumnal feel to an interior scheme.
That’s why the Amara Island Sheep Skin Cube Pouff in white has made my Christmas interior wishlist. It would be the perfect piece to add to my current living room, teamed with a couple of matching scatter cushions and my thick, knitted throw. But at £250, I think a budget-friendlier dupe will have to do. Nordstrom’s faux fur pouf here is a bargain in comparison at £68.79, or try Next or John Lewis for cheaper versions.
8. Last but not least, another favourite of mine is this beautiful, statement Mode rug by Bluebellgray, below. With its bold statement mix of colours and abstract, floral design for £899.00 it is a steep price to pay for a rug.
Finding a design that could transition Winter to Spring is key, bold colours will brighten up any interior at any time of year. I found a similar bold, floral design from Modern Rugs, from £74.00. Or my other favourite finds are the Helsinki floral rug or the Modern Sommer Freesia Multi Colour Watercolour Rug which both come in at under £140.00.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my Interior Christmas Wishlist picks. Whether you splurge on the real thing or save with one of my budget-friendlier dupes, I hope I’ve given you inspiration as to what to ask Santa for this year!